Thursday 13 September 2007

tube

I muttered in Spanish at him
- He sat on my seat,
Where I had planned to plant my buttocks
For a good half hour at least.
No matter, I sat in front of him
Watch him read tho’ the light was dim
He saw me looking, smiled then laughed
“80 grand for a kitten-don’t be daft
look ‘ere” he said, “in black and white
these people won’t sell that can’t be right
I’d sell my wife for less than that
Who spends that money on a cat”
“Well it better be toilet trained” said I
and remember thinking “I wonder why
This stranger decided to talk to me”
It just wasn’t done, couldn’t he see
On the underground christsake
Wasn’t he scared of murder, rape?
We spoke of other things for a while
And all the time he seemed to smile
I figured he was content with life
Even if he thought of selling his wife.
Next time I travel I’ll remember him
Crazy looks from me, the mood he was in
He made me laugh he made me glad
Tho’ till then I’d been feeling quite sad
Next time I’m looking for a seat
I wonder who the hell I’ll meet
Maybe I’ll be first to break the ice
-Chatting to strangers is really nice.

No comments: